Be Part of SHIIP--SMP
What do SHIIP-SMP Volunteers do?
Each year SHIIP-SMP volunteers assist tens of thousands of Iowans understand their Medicare benefits and options and fight Medicare fraud and abuse through individual counseling sessions, community education, special projects and making connections in their communities. Local community organizations and health care facilities partner with SHIIP-SMP to host trained volunteers at sponsor sites across Iowa.
What SHIIP-SMP Volunteer Roles are available?
Trained counselors and office assistants volunteer roles are available at more than 140 sites across state of Iowa.
Learn About SHIIP-SMP Counselor Volunteer Opportunities
What Makes a Good Counselor?
We’re looking for people who:
- Can be a trusted and objective source of information
- Enjoy tackling new challenges
- Like to learn complex subject matter
- Gain personal satisfaction from helping clients navigate the challenges of understanding Medicare
- Can work with diverse populations
- Have good computer skills and are internet savvy
What is required to be a SHIIP-SMP Counselor?
To assure SHIIP-SMP counselors are proficient and have the information and tools they need to provide counseling and community outreach, volunteers are required to:
- Complete new volunteer training
- Attend update trainings annually
- Assist a minimum number of clients throughout the year
- Complete online subject matter reviews annually
So volunteers can proceed with confidence during counseling and educational sessions, SHIIP–SMP provides excellent resources including a dedicated 800# line for volunteer questions that is answered by staff, print resources, and regularly updated information.
Learn about SHIIP-SMP Office Assistant Opportunities
Volunteer Office Assistants also play a critical role in provision of services. Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Assisting with the creation of new online medicare.gov accounts
- Entering prescription drugs from clients into Plan Finder at www.Medicare.gov, including calling the client or pharmacy to verify accuracy of the drug list
- Assisting with copying, mailing and other site office assistance
- As needed, screening client calls for service and scheduling counseling appointments