Be Part of SHIIP--SMP
What do SHIIP--SMP Volunteers do?
SHIIP--SMP Trained volunteers assist thousands of Iowans each year to understand their Medicare benefits and options and fight Medicare fraud and abuse through individual counseling sessions, community education, special projects and making connections in their communities. Local community organizations partner with SHIIP--SMP to host trained volunteers at sponsor sites across Iowa.
What SHIIP--SMP Volunteer Roles are available?
Trained counselors, computer assistants and office assistants volunteer roles are available at more than 140 sites across state of Iowa.
Learn About SHIIP--SMP Counselor Volunteer Opportunities
What Makes a Good Counselor?
We’re looking for people who:
- Can be a trusted and objective source of information
- Enjoy tackling new challenges
- Like to learn complex subject matter
- Gain personal satisfaction from helping clients navigate the challenges of understanding Medicare
- Can work with diverse populations
- Have good computer skills and are internet savvy
What is required to be a SHIIP--SMP Counselor?
To assure SHIIP–SMP counselors are proficient and have the information and tools they need to provide counseling and community outreach, volunteers are required to:
- Complete new volunteer training
- Attend update trainings annually
- Assist a minimum number of clients throughout the year
- Complete online subject matter reviews annually
So volunteers can proceed with confidence during counseling and educational sessions, SHIIP–SMP provides excellent resources including a dedicated 800# line for volunteer questions that is answered by staff, print resources, and regularly updated information.
Other SHIIP--SMP Opportunities
SHIIP–SMP has additional volunteer opportunities for office assistants in many of our sponsor locations. Computer volunteers help enter prescription drug information for comparison of Medicare drug plans. Office assistants help with scheduling appointments and other office tasks.